The Next Step
I'm not sure if any of you have noticed, but I have been trying hard to categorically avoid idioms that refer to walking or standing in all of these blog posts, such as what I just put in my title. You might be surprised by just how difficult that is! Phrases such as "one step at a time" or "getting back on your feet" just come out of my mouth or appear on my screen without conscious thought, and then I realize the painful irony that since June 22nd, no "steps" have been a reality for my dad at all. Until today.
Last Monday, October 1st, Dad began an outpatient therapy program. That was the date that gave him the go-ahead to attempt to put weight on his legs now that the bones of his feet and ankles have had adequate time to heal. At that first appointment, it was all conversation to catch up on his case and formulate a plan for going forward. Last Thursday, Dad stood up for the first time. Of the family, only my mom was with him, but she sent us all a video (which I've taken a screenshot of, see below), and I wept when I watched it. I can't help but shake my head in awe and wonder at all that God has brought my dad through this summer. He stood for a couple of minutes at a time, twice, with horizontal bars to hold onto and people in front of and behind him.
Today, he repeated his practice at standing with assistance, and then he took several steps, still holding onto the bars of course and with the help of a therapist in front of him. I haven't talked to him yet to find out how it felt or how much of his right leg's movement he was able to control. It's hard to tell in the video whether the therapist is helping to move his leg, but it looks like he is moving both legs independently! Again, there are tears in my eyes and a big smile on my face. It's unbelievable that Dad even survived, much less that he is beginning to learn to walk again, unless you know my God. With Him, nothing is impossible. "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" (Genesis 18:14). The answer is no. Nothing is too hard for God. Even learning to walk again after falling from a height from which you "shouldn't" have survived.
Click to view clip from today's video of Dad taking a few steps
Last Monday, October 1st, Dad began an outpatient therapy program. That was the date that gave him the go-ahead to attempt to put weight on his legs now that the bones of his feet and ankles have had adequate time to heal. At that first appointment, it was all conversation to catch up on his case and formulate a plan for going forward. Last Thursday, Dad stood up for the first time. Of the family, only my mom was with him, but she sent us all a video (which I've taken a screenshot of, see below), and I wept when I watched it. I can't help but shake my head in awe and wonder at all that God has brought my dad through this summer. He stood for a couple of minutes at a time, twice, with horizontal bars to hold onto and people in front of and behind him.
Today, he repeated his practice at standing with assistance, and then he took several steps, still holding onto the bars of course and with the help of a therapist in front of him. I haven't talked to him yet to find out how it felt or how much of his right leg's movement he was able to control. It's hard to tell in the video whether the therapist is helping to move his leg, but it looks like he is moving both legs independently! Again, there are tears in my eyes and a big smile on my face. It's unbelievable that Dad even survived, much less that he is beginning to learn to walk again, unless you know my God. With Him, nothing is impossible. "Is anything too hard for the Lord?" (Genesis 18:14). The answer is no. Nothing is too hard for God. Even learning to walk again after falling from a height from which you "shouldn't" have survived.
Click to view clip from today's video of Dad taking a few steps
Comments
Post a Comment